Joint Working Group to Respond to the Truth and Reconciliation Committee’s Calls to Action
The Northwest Territories Branch of the Canadian Bar Association (CBA-NWT) and the Law Society of the NWT (LSNT) have established a joint working group to respond to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action.
The working group’s mandate is to advise the Executives of the LSNT and the CBA-NWT with advice on how to respond to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action.
Responsibilities of the working group include:
- Review the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Call to Action and Final Report
- Identify the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s recommendations related to the legal profession or justice system
- Consult as required with Aboriginal organizations and Aboriginal Peoples in the Northwest Territories
- Identify and propose acts of reconciliation that can be made by the LSNT, the CBA-NWT, and the profession and individual members
- Develop a public statement on behalf of the LSNT and CBA-NWT in recognition of the profession’s role in the residential school program
The joint working group is co-chaired by one representative of the LSNT and one representative of CBA-NWT. Membership in the working group is by appointment of the LSNT Executive in consultation with the co-chairs, following a call for expressions of interest from members of the profession.
Meetings are at the call of the co-chairs and are held at least once monthly.